Saturday, November 22, 2008

The stars

I found this article gracing the cover of the New York Times "Sunday Styles" section (yes, I read the Styles section first) just in time for my all-day meetings with not one, but two, astrologers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/fashion/23psychic.html?_r=1&ref=fashion

Looks like I'm not the only one turning to the stars for advice. I do get the sense, however, that none of the psychics, Tarot readers, and spiritual mediums in the article have studied the massive, exacting, almost impenetrable science of Vedic astrology. (According to many, it's the sheer difficulty of Vedic astrology, and not any bogus-ness, that makes for so many bad astrologers these days.) My roommate M says that one of today's experts has been studying Vedic astrology for more than 30 years; he teaches it, now, in the States and here. The other has only been studying for 9 years, having turned to astrology after becoming a successful CPA. Way to foresee the economic recession -- and where all everyone would be turning for help.

I've had a few interesting brushes with astrology and the like. Twice, astrologers have approached me out of crowds on the street and told me that something very important is about to happen to me. Neither of them asked me to sit with them for a reading, or to pay them. The first time, I was in the middle of applying to Harvard. The second time, I was in the middle of packing my bags for this trip.

Anyone ever been to an astrologer, psychic, palm reader, Tarot seer, medium?

No comments: